Wednesday 25 November 2009

The strangest thing...

A while ago, at a house party at our flat, I stepped on a sharp object. I felt it go into my foot. I was a little drunk at the time and I wrote it off as a random occurence and that if it was a splinter it would somehow come away by itself. This was 2 months ago. Today I was looking at my small toe and thinking its a strange colour. It was quite swollen. I thought it could lance it with a sharp sterilised needle and remove anything purulent. (Yes I know, its a bizzare thing to want to do, but vets have a weird fascination with self diagnosis, self treatment and anything disgusting). Plus as a result of spending a month on pathology I thought I could implement some teaching in action as part of my revision. You know, that might be dry gangrene preceeded by liquefactive necrosis.

Anyway I lanced it with a needle Id sterilised in a flame and saw some pus come away. As some of the tissue on my toe was dead i thought i would try and remove as much of it as p
ossible. As i removed more I saw something dark underneath some of the lower tissue. I made a further incision and the thing stuck in my foot came out quite easily. It was a metal pin, the kind you use to stick things onto walls without its head. About a centimetre long. Gross and weird.

Tomorrow or Friday Ill go to the Liverpool Street drop in NHS clinic and get my foot checked and hopefully get some antibiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment